Linked below is the most up to date information concerning proposed elementary and middle school redistricting plans. We know we get the best decisions in the end when we have heard from all of our constituents who often have a variety of perspectives and ideas. We very much welcome and encourage you to share your input and ideas using the feedback form below.
- Proposed Redistricting Plan and Feedback Form
- Proposed Elementary School Assignment Areas
- Proposed Middle School Assignment Areas
- Redistricting Frequency Asked Questions
- Project Timeline
Key dates and details are as follows:
- Presented recommended redistricting plan to School Committee on October 1st
- Community members will have an opportunity to weigh in on this plan by attending one of the public hearings. Hearings will be held on:
- Wednesday, October 16 at 9:00 AM in Battin Hall at Cary Memorial Hall
- Thursday, October 24 at 6:00 PM in Battin Hall at Cary Memorial Hall
- Monday, November 18 at 6:00 PM in the Clarke Middle School Auditorium
- Following a review of community feedback and any needed revision, a final recommendation will be presented to the School Committee for vote on December 3rd.
- Approved maps will be implemented for the 2020-2021 school year.
All meetings will be recorded and available online through LexMedia. If you are unable to attend one of these hearings, materials will be posted here, including proposed maps and an online feedback form.
At the January 22nd School Committee meeting, Superintendent Julie Hackett announced the start of Phase II elementary and middle school redistricting. Phase I redistricting began in 2015, with an outcome of some modification of the elementary school assignment map that applied to new, incoming students. It was planned that Phase II would involve a more comprehensive effort that would occur at or near completion of the new Lexington Children’s Place and Hastings Elementary School.
It is now time for us to begin the challenging and important work of adjusting our school assignment maps. Phase II Redistricting is expected to be more widespread, impacting more neighborhoods and areas of town than our 2015 redistricting effort. Our goal is to effectively use existing and newly available school capacity to ensure learning environments that are as equitable as possible for all students across the district.
A complete project timeline is available at http://bit.ly/RedistrictTimeline2. The full Superintendent’s report from January 22nd can be read at http://bit.ly/SupUpdate012219. New information and redistricting updates will be posted on this webpage throughout the redistricting process.
- Meeting Agenda
- School Committee Policy: JCAA- REDISTRICTING
- School Committee Policy: JC- ATTENDANCE AREAS
- Advisory Group Meeting: Presentation
Advisory Group: April 11, 2019 Meeting Material
Advisory Group: May 7, 2019 Meeting Material
School Committee Update & Reading of Related Policies on May 21, 2019 Presentation (Recording available through LexMedia at http://bit.ly/SCUpdateRedistricting – Presentation starts at the 1:05:00 minute mark)
*Additional public information sessions based on the same presentation were held on June 5th at 8:00 AM and 6:30 PM in the Estabrook Meeting Room at Cary Hall.
Advisory Group: June 6, 2019
Advisory Group: August 6, 2019